Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Part 10: I Want to See Broadway, But Too Damn Broke -King of Broadway is Dead


Copyright 2021 Rachel Beth Ahrens Lady in the Blue Box Publishing. All Rights Reserved. Copy this post and I'll write a bad story about you. Reader discretion is still advised. 


Can we get back to Twitter and NaNoWriMo? Please??? Yo. 

Since the reopening of The Hippodrome Theatre and Broadway... I get no satisfaction from any of this. In a matter of months, it will be NaNoWriMo again, with my first Thanksgiving without my dad. Strike that, first holiday season. Halloween is coming up in weeks. This coming Friday is dad's birthday. 

You have no clue how depressed I really am right now. Can't wait to get out of Baltimore again. I haven't had a real vacation in YEARS, even before Key City Steampunk Fest. 

New York's Broadway scene is back open, but I have absolutely no plans to see New York City because I'm toast in terms of funds, unless my Patreon (see link >>>) comes through for me. 

And I can't get tickets. At All. The Hippodrome Theatre in Baltimore does not open with Hamilton until fall of 2022. Tickets might cost a fortune anyway. Maybe $200 per ticket for two people??? 

Worse, I still have no Disney streaming service. The only way I'd see Hamilton is on Disney + if I go to my boyfriend's home in Havre De Grace. But it means more to me if I see the show in an actual theatre- the movies or the actual stage show itself. 

And at this rate, it will never be in theatres, just the stage or on Disney forever. This is possibly the reason why Daveed Diggs recently told reporters that he refuses to see his own show on the streaming platform, because his role as Thomas Jefferson and Monsieur Lafayette was so dear to him that he can't perceive himself on television, and would rather watch it in the real theatre himself. Honestly, I know where he's coming from, because a lot of actors have trouble watching themselves act in a movie they made or something else that they did. They can't watch their own roles unless a completely different person is playing their role. I totally get it, I empathize. 

Though it's now been almost three months since I wrote anything for "King of Broadway is Dead" and the story is basically closed on that, this trailer made me open it up again- 

No, I still haven't downloaded or streamed the song "Found/ Tonight", which yes, I understand it features Ben Platt and Lin-Manuel Miranda, and yes, it's produced by Hamilton music director Alex Lacamoire, another Broadway and Tony-winning legend- NO, I have not seen it because I'm skittish! (Please forgive me, I'm taking a break from Miranda's Twitter, seriously. I'm pretty sure the super famous Broadway-Hollywood celebrity Hates me.) 


Basically, the music in this video gave me inspiration to write a lot more. Especially since I'm totally excited for the film coming out THIS September!!! And three weeks after my dad's birthday too. 

Yes, dad's birthday is this Friday, which is when Marvel's Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings comes to theatres. My dad wanted to see that movie, including Bond 25: No Time to Die, the movie where Blofeld comes back, Oscar winner Rami Malek is the new villain, and it's the very last movie that Daniel Craig is playing 007 for the last time. So very, very sad. 

The good news is- My mom wants to treat September 3rd, 2021 like a PARTY! 

Yeah, exactly like the Boov in Home, or as my dad knew it, the children's book The Importance of Smekday, in which Oh the Boov plans a party for all alien life to come and party on Planet Earth. Like that. But then again, it will just be us girls, me and mom. 

I still want a surprise party someday. Dammit. 

But here's the point. The more I read the Eliza Hamilton biography by Tilar Mazzeo, the more I read Jane Austen, the more I listen to the Hamilton Musical Soundtrack... The more I actually realize- There is SO much Jane Austen in the life of Alexander and Eliza Hamilton!!! And there is so much to talk about fathers in it as well! It's kind of scary how this happens, and I really need to pick up the biography again and read the rest. Eliza is a total SUPERHERO. 

Dear Mr. Miranda, if you are reading this blog, and I doubt that you are because I'm pretty sure after my second letter I sent you, you still hate me... I'm sorry I'm late. :'( Please forgive me for dragging my feet for six years!!! I know, I suck. 

Still, no matter. It kills me I can't get tickets to Hamilton for another year and a half, if I'm estimating. It's more like 13 months. I feel like a total moron for waiting until NOW. I am a fucking idiot. GRR! 

But after going to the Key City Steampunk Festival, I've got so many ideas I don't know what to do with this time. It gave me what Baltimore needs right now more than anything- HOPE. 

And now I seriously want to go to New York, dress up in a handcrafted steampunk Eliza Hamilton cosplay that I'M MAKING, and sing "Vegas" by Sara Bareilles, and then go into the Hamilton song "Helpless". 

Whatever, I'm screwed because I'm so very dirt poor either way. I guess I'm stuck here just watching reruns of Dharma and Greg on Hulu, because one, that's a funny show that reminds me of my relationship with Alexander, the love of my life (he's Greg, I'm Dharma), two, Hulu and Comcast is all we can afford, and three, I can't afford Disney + and Alexander could possibly get the Disney streaming service- BUT- Havre De Grace is way too far from Baltimore. 

Ah-well. I've morphed into a Hamilton fan too slow, I'm late to the party, and I can't believe I have to get to wait 7 YEARS to see the show, and my ENTIRE LIFE to see my first ever professional Broadway show. 

In the words of the songwriters of Avenue Q... It sucks to be me. 

(Dexter voice from Dexter's Laboratory): Drat. 

Back to the crochet drawing board. Rrrrr. 

Oh no. I've turned into one of them. I accept. I am a super silly and near-obsessed Hamilton Musical fangirl! HELP! 

Son of a......... (fill in blank with silly word, no swear words please) 

Coming up next: the Nerd Queen Journal, after a long leave of absence, is BACK, BABY! Time for the tie breaker to get back into conventions! Nerd Queen Journal is long overdue, but I will be updating on Key City Steampunk in my next post! Love ya! 

-Rachel the Faire 

Please visit me on Patreon!!!! patreon.com/arachelbethahrenscreation 

Playlist selection- Another old one but a good one from my college years... It always comes back around to run into you... 

Phoenix- "Lasso" 




No comments:

Post a Comment

An update on Pink and White Nightmare: Save Gallifrey essay pt 2

Or...  "The Dream of a Better Tomorrow"  Copyright 2024 Lady in the Blue Box Publishing by Rachel Beth Ahrens. All Rights Reserved...